Convenience stores, general merchandise retailers, and even restaurants are now pulling your customers’ grocery dollars away from your basket sizes. So, what do customers want in a grocery store? Everything. Giving your customers all that they need with a seamless, safe, and timely curbside experience can help combat attrition if you prove to be their favorite one-stop shop for all their needs.
Here’s how you can keep grocery consumers coming back to your curb, every time.
Keep your focus on convenience
Your grocery consumers will be expecting an intuitive, convenient online experience, as well as suggested purchase items to complement the ones they have already selected and even purchased before. Here are some tips for streamlining your online experience as a curbside pickup grocery store:
- Ensure your brand’s ordering app retains each customer’s purchase history so they can easily re-purchase items they need on a regular basis.
- Enable your app to suggest complementary items, which will enhance the experience for customers and boost basket size and customer attachment to your brand. This shows that your store cares about covering their every need and making them happy each time they shop with you, boosting long-term customer loyalty.
- Link your rewards program to the online app, so customers can seamlessly apply rewards they’ve earned to new purchases.
Keep your eye on the time
Consumers who use online grocery services expect convenience throughout the entire experience, from online product selection to their bags being safely and carefully loaded to their car by a store associate once they arrive for pickup.
As curbside pickup gains popularity across shopper demographics, stores will need flexible and responsive teams to handle increases in online orders. Inclement weather, major holidays, and seasonal factors will influence the volume of curbside orders. Store teams may need to accommodate more than double their standard volume on any given day.
- Apply a small reward to the customer’s account should a time delay of more than an hour past their pickup time be required.
- Offer full item selection and real-time stock updates through the app.
- Connect the customer to their order shortly after arrival to pickup.
- Offer both store associate delivery to the car and self-service lockers/coolers accessed with a security code for order pickup. Customers should be able to select their preferences when completing their online order to maximize convenience and keep order pickups flowing seamlessly.
- Reward customer loyalty by applying earned rewards to their future purchases.
- Also, ask customers in the app if they’d prefer to automatically apply earned rewards to future purchases or save up to earn more significant rewards after spending milestones are achieved ($100, $500, $1000, etc.)
Engage with your curbside customers
Second To None’s Engage solution gives your customers a quick and easy way to provide feedback on curbside successes and opportunities. A consistent listening post will ensure your brand stays ahead of the competition and retains maximum basket size, building your base of loyal customers steadily over time.
other posts your might like
view all blog posts